Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Church with a Time Limit?

I was surprised to read on foxnews.com about a new church in Florida that was for men only.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264784,00.html

This article is well worth the read. It seems that men are bored in church these days. (I guess the Bible ain't what it used to be?) This new church for men only features a rock band, and shot clock for the preacher to get out of the pulpit and a one hour guarantee to be in and out of the church. My question is when did church become a drive through? It's not suppose to be a dry cleaners (drop off your husband by 11 and we will have him baptized by 12) Is this what worship as come to? Sure, I have sat through some less then stellar sermons in my day (all of which were better them what I could do) but I the idea of a "shot clock" just ticks me off. I imagine that if Jesus were preaching some morning in that church that the shot clock would be turned off, the rock band would unplug and everyone would listen to what Jesus had to say. Maybe these "men" should consider the source of their preachers material instead of running a two minute drill to see who can get to Golden Corral first. I am not saying that we must all conform to one form of worship and I won't get into the music debate, but unless every member of this church is 6 years old, perhaps they should use some patience, maybe God wants them at church just a little longer.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I MEAN WOW! THE NEW TEMPLATE TOTALLY THREW ME OFF;)

Danny Baddeley said...

Yep, sitting at the computer this morning, neither Heidi or I are feeling very well. Just playing around, changing it up. Can't get a picture on this thing though. Irritating.

Anonymous said...

AWWW YEAH YOU DID GET THE PIX UP! ROCK ON! You're so with it;)

Anonymous said...

OH YEAH! AND I'M TOTALLY NOT A JUNIOR CAMPER!!!

Danny Baddeley said...

Thats what the link says. I gotta go with that.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Danny has a blog. Cool. :)

That's crazy about the men's church thing. If I were a man, I would be insulted that they think they have to dumb it down for me to want to go. The time limit thing is outrageous. I'm actually not so much a sermon person myself (I would much rather have a class or Bible study with a smaller group, but that's just my learning style), and I do understand that it can be very hard to pay attention to a preacher when your tummy rumblings are drowning him out, BUT... a time limit? I mean talk about quenching the spirit! I guess it's good that someone is trying to reach out to these men, I just hope they're not being led astray, thinking they can just take a one hour dose of God a day for a "healthy spirit" or something.

Anyway, it's nice to have another blog station to stop at.

Anonymous said...

OH YEAH WELL THEN YOU'RE AN ENGINEER! HA! HOW DO YA LIKE DEM APPLES!

Anonymous said...

My 2 ytl: honestly in my opinion if that's what it takes to get through to them, even if it's just a little bit then that's what has to be done. It's like trying to teach a junior camper's Bible class. They aren't going to get anything out of a lecture style class. But if you maybe throw a picture or twenty in there, some fun songs, something for them to color, and some warm fuzzies I bet you'll get your point across at least a little bit. The point to my ytl: better a stopclock than the bedsprings church.

Danny Baddeley said...

For me it's a matter of maturity. If your 10 and bored in church then that's fine, but when you 35 and you can't make yourself sit still for an hour at a place you voluntarily went to, then you just need to grow up.

Anonymous said...

Well, I know some 35 year old men that are about as mature as a ten 10 year old. I agree, they do need to grow up but it's better than bedsprings.

-LMS

Philip said...

Hello... my name is Philip... and I'm a blogaholic.

Congrats on the blog, I had no idea you'd been blogging so long. I'll put a link on our site today.

Danny Baddeley said...

thanks you sir, i never really advertised it, I figured it would get around eventually.